chiari angel

chiari angel

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Isn't it wonderful how music can be applied to so many situations in our lives? I have noticed recently that music has a way of calming me and helping me cope. A few months ago while in the hospital I was having a really rough time...I was in the critical care tower and very very ill. The nurses were sticking me with huge needles every few hours and had run out of places that were not bruised. I had become partially paralyzed and could barely move my arms and legs or even turn over in bed. Seeing one of the nurses entering my room with the dreaded needles on this particular day was more than I could bear. She reached in her pocket and pulled out her cell phone "close your eyes and listen" she said. Soft music filled my room and I immediately relaxed. After that she made sure I had music playing in my room at all times. I have a list of music I want to listen to when I have my transplant. I  love all types of music and listen to it all but piano music is my favorite.
One song I relate too recently is My Skin by Natalie Merchant. I never liked that song before and used to cringe when I heard it. I thought it was too "whiny". But I listened to the lyrics for the first time and understood what she was saying in this song. I take it to mean....Yes I am ill and have been for a long time. But I am not as fragile as I appear to be. I want to be treated like everyone else. I may look different on the outside and at times don't understand what is happening to my body but I am still me on the inside and need to feel normal. I don't want to be untouchable....


No comments:

Post a Comment